- The only musician in the world to have recorded and toured with the legendary “Big Three” of American soul music: Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson and Prince.
- Selected by The Michael Jackson Estate as a featured musician for the Michael Jackson Immortal World Tour
- Hosted “Mikes World” on the Centric and BET television stations
- The late Wayman Tisdale personally introduced Mike Phillips to Steve McKeever
- The only non-athlete to be signed by the Brand Jordan division of Nike
Phillips and his soulful yet funky grooves have wowed fans across the globe and earned standing ovations from audiences at the Montreux Jazz Festival, the Jamaica Jazz and Blues Festival and the inaugural balls for President’s Clinton and Obama. His television credits include performances on the Grammys, BET Awards, BET Honors and the Soul Train Awards. Phillips also served as musical director and host of the popular BET program Lyric Café.
“I was offstage, listening to Michael Phillips take his solo. I was thinking ‘Wow, listen to those people responding, and all he’s doing is playing a saxophone.’ They can feel that what he’s doing is real. So many shows now…they are so dead. But here’s one man breathing into an instrument, and the whole room feels alive. It made me want to rise up to that level when I came back onstage.” – Prince, Rolling Stone, 5/27/04